Thursday, December 29, 2011

Setting Some Goals

Sixty-eight books.  That's how many books I've read this year.  Well, as of today anyway.  But since the rest of the week looks busy, I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in too many more.

Sixty-eight, that's a lot...right?  It averages out to one every five days or so, which is better than one per week.  And I suppose if you take into consideration the MASSIVE page count on the majority of those books, I've done alright.

As the new year is approaching, I'm trying to set some serious goals for myself.  Obviously, I want to set a reasonable, yet challenging reading goal for myself.  I could set a goal of 100 books for 2012, which is definitely do-able, especially if I read more "normal" sized books (ie around 300 pages instead of 800) and take advantage of the ease of access my new Kindle brings me.  So, sure, I don't think 100 books would be an unrealistic goal.  But is that it?  Is that the ONLY reading goal I want to set?

Today I was reading an article about reading challenges.  Reading Challenges can be simple, like reading 100 books in a year, or more complex, like reading a select number of Titanic related books in the course of the year, or a select number of romance novels, Jane Austen novels, vampire novels, etc...  There's even a challenge to read all the Stephen King Dark Tower novels.  For some you need to post reviews, for others you don't need to post at all. 

I'm planning on perusing the internet for some good ideas, and I might just sign up for a few challenges, you know, something to keep me focused next year.  Honestly, the Jane Austen one sounds tempting.  I actually haven't read all that much Austen and I feel like it's one of those things I should do at some point in time.  So maybe 2012 is that time.  We'll see I guess.

As well as reading goals for 2012, I'm determined to set some writing goals for myself as well.  And I'd like to find myself some kind of productive hobby that leaves me with something tangible when I'm finished.  Knitting, sewing, cooking, pottery, something like that.  Again, another thing I'll be thinking about over the next few days while waiting for 2012 to start.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to a productive 2012???

No comments:

Post a Comment