Thursday, December 31, 2015

Happy Happy New Year!

Despite the fact that I haven't blogged in ages (oops!)  I feel drawn tonight to put my year in review and my resolutions for next year down on paper.  And since my penmanship is pretty atrocious, I'm going to use digital paper.

My first thought for 2015 is that if you want to move through life in warp speed, have a child.  Somehow my son managed to turn five in 2015.  FIVE.  That's HUGE!  On top of that, he started school.  SCHOOL!  Like REAL school!  How is it possible that the little baby I tried so hard for is now in school?  And next month, he's going to be six.  I might faint.  But I have to admit, he is the coolest five (almost six) year old I know.  He's dealing with celiac disease and the constant food restrictions like a champ.  He's made a ton of friends in school and the teacher said she's pleased to see what a positive example he sets for his new friends.  I couldn't be more proud of him.  Looking forward to 2016 because I KNOW he's going to learn how to read, and I simply CANNOT WAIT.



2015 was the year of the wedding.  Holy weddings.  It started with my best friend's beautiful barn wedding (which I was honored to be a part of), then a friend and former co-worker's seriously cool looking black and white wedding, followed closely behind by a quick island pig roast/lobster bake for my cousin and then ended with a bang at my sister's AMAZING beach-side wedding.  I get to call it AMAZING because I worked my tail off to make sure it was everything she hoped for...and then a bit more. It was a perfect day, with so many cool people and delicious food, and beautiful fire works, and, and, and....  Despite the broken ferry and a major cake fail, it was still a beautiful day and an amazing way to welcome my new brother-in-law to the family.



On the personal front, I attempted NaNoWriMo for the first time.  My conclusion, it was harder than I thought.  I went in knowing that I probably wouldn't be able to finish, 2200 words a day for a goal of 50,000 words written during the month of November.  And I was right, I wasn't able to finish, which was disappointing, but not unexpected due to the fact that I've never attempted to write so much so fast, and that I wasn't at all prepared.  But I won't say that NaNoWriMo was a complete failure.  I wrote more than I've ever written on a single story and I realized that I can't just sit down and write.  I need a plan, an outline, some scene sketches.  It was definitely a learning experience.



So, what is 2016 going to bring?  I don't know.  But I do have some goals.  First and foremost, I want for Ben and I to feel WELL in 2016.  I have felt miserable for the majority of 2015.  Between my stomach, a lack of energy and constant aching in my back, hips and knees, I feel a hell of a lot older than 32 years.  I'm done with it.  Today I spent a small fortune on supplements and vitamins which I HOPE will start healing my stomach so I can finally start to feel better.  And yes, I have a feeling a trip to the friendly gastroenterologist is also on the agenda for 2016.  I'm also going to work on getting Ben in tip-top shape as well.  He's doing well and gaining weight, finally, but I think he could still be doing better, so we're going to try some new belly healing techniques for him as well.  I want to end 2016 feeling great.



My other goal for 2016 is to write.  I suppose I'm starting with this blog post, since it's turned into an essay at this point, but I'd really like to focus on writing fiction.  Probably for no other reason than to see if I can do it, but you never know.  I'm pretty sure there are worse books on Amazon (I think I've read some) than something I could write.  So hey, you never know, maybe in 2016 I will write the next War and Peace.  Or not...


2015 was a pretty spectacular year, can't wait to see what 2016 has in store for us!

1 comment:

  1. Yay you! I truly hope you will feel better in 2016. Good luck with your writing. I think sometimes we need to accept the ebb and flow of our work, to trust the pattern is leading us to great writing. If you're like me, there's a lot brewing in the mind; the next step is to get what's in our heads down on the page! In any case, welcome back to the blog. Nice reading your words again. Have a very happy new year! <3

    ReplyDelete