Monday, May 23, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I am DETERMINED to plant a garden this year.  Every year I get all jazzed up about it in the spring, and then it never gets done before planting season is over.  This year it's going to happen...this weekend!!!  For Christmas my mother bought me a copy of All New Square Foot Gardening.  I'm determined to follow it to the letter so I not only have a garden, but vegetables that are actually growing in it.  (I'm not exactly known for my green thumb.) 

This is what it is supposed to look like

The theory behind the square foot garden is to minimize space and maximize output.  So I'll be building 2 4x4 raised bed gardens, each 6 inches deep.  Each garden is divided into 1x1 squares and the book lists many types of plants and how many you can grow in each square.  It also provides a recipe for dirt (that's right...a recipe for dirt!) that will have all the nutrients the plants need, plus be able to retain moisture.  This sounds idiot proof.  Which is exactly what I need.

Today I made a list of materials we need (wood and dirt) and then I mapped out the grids and determined how many of each type of plant I'm going to plant.  (I'm either going to have waaay too much lettuce, or not nearly enough, I guess we'll see.)  I'm all excited to get planting!  Fresh cukes, tomatoes, beans, peas....yum yum!!!  I hope the sun realizes I'm going to need some cooperation here...this week upon week of drizzle thing just isn't going to work....

Bring on the veggies!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment