Wednesday, April 23, 2014

NIAW 2014

I had been meaning to write a blog for the last couple of weeks.  But I admit it, I'm lazy.  Lazy and also really busy.  But this week is the 25th Anniversary of National Infertility Awareness Week, and that's important enough for me to take a minute and do my part to raise awareness.

Most people who know me well know that my son was conceived through IVF.  It's something I am willing to talk freely about and share my experiences with, now that it's over.  At the time, while we were going through multiple IVF attempts, it wasn't something I talked about or shared.  It was hard to explain and it was hard to handle failure.  I perused online chat rooms and forums for little bits of support, but I didn't have anyone close I could talk to and share my experiences with.  It was a hard, lonely journey.  A journey that I wouldn't wish upon anyone.  Which is why I try to take a few minutes every year during National Infertility Awareness Week to remind people that 1 in 8 people are suffering with infertility.  1 in 8 people want to have a baby, and are struggling to get pregnant.  And, very likely, 1 in 8 people are struggling silently with their emotions because they feel alone.

Educate yourself.  Educate others.  Because someday, someone is probably going to need your support.

Here's my STORY

And here are some other good resources:

RESOLVE 

NIAW 2014

What You Can Do


No comments:

Post a Comment