Friday, April 8, 2011

Unpleasant Surprises

There is just way too much that no one tells you about parenting.  One of the first lessons I learned is that while all babies "spit-up" some babies have "reflux" and projectile vomit EVERYWHERE.  No one seems to mention that this projectile vomit will ruin your clothes, stain your furniture and make your rugs smell like old cheese.  Nasty.

No one talks about how your nice tidy living room can go from this:


To This:


In just a matter of minutes when you have a determined one year old.  Sure, we may be told that kids are messy and have a lot of toys, but until you find yourself putting leftovers in tupperware that you pulled out from under the couch and dusted off, you really can't wrap your head around the utter chaos a one year old can create.

And while everyone praises breastfeeding and encourages you to nurse for at least a year, no one seems to mention how much weaning blows.  Sure, I'm super glad I was able to give my son breast milk for 14 months, but I have spent the last week barely able to lift my arms because my boobs are rock hard and agonizingly painful to even think about, never mind have my son throw a temper tantrum against them.  Ow.  Seriously, ow.

And I think you already know my thoughts on teething.  I won't even go there.

Can't wait to see what other little "surprises" I have in store.  I'm sure there are plenty of things that have been glossed over by other mothers.  It's a good thing he's cute...

No comments:

Post a Comment