Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Little Time to Think

I am back from a quick little trip to the island, just Ben and I this time.  I really had a great time, though Benjamin completely wore me out.  I don't think I've ever seen him quite so wound up...yikes!  I had plenty of time to think, on the long drive there and back, and the trips up and down island and the quiet times while I was putting Ben to sleep.  All the thinking led me to things I wanted to blog about, and so here I am, rejuvenated, and mildly inspired.  I had every intention of writing while I was there, but it didn't quite pan out, but now that I'm home I'm going to see what I can do.

Lately I have been thinking about my grandmother a lot.  She passed away somewhere around eight years ago, I think.  (If I really tried I could figure it out exactly, but I think eight is close enough.)  Anyway, when she died, I missed her a lot and I thought time would eventually make that go away.  That has not been the case.  I find that as years pass I am wishing I could share things with her.  At first I was sad that she missed my wedding and never got a chance to meet my husband.  But now that I have my son I find that I would give anything to have had her meet him.  She would have adored him.  She loved babies.

I also find that I have a million questions for her.  How did you meet my grandfather?  Do you have Great-Grandma Grispi's spaghetti sauce recipe?  What was it again that you would curse in Italian whenever the phone rang?  And many, many more.  But there's no one to answer them now, and I find that frustrating.

This weekend, on the island, I got a special treat.  One of my grandmother's dear friends was up visiting from Connecticut.  I've known her my entire life and I know she and my grandmother used to sit together and day dream about my sister and I growing up.  I've seen her several times since my grandmother died, but this time was the first time she got to meet my son.  She fell instantly into the roll of doting great-grandmother and I am very grateful for her for filling in, however briefly, for my grandmother in showering him with kisses and praises.  It was good for Ben and I to experience that, and I know my grandmother would feel the same way.


No comments:

Post a Comment