Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Rehab for Nerds?



Hi, my name is Kyla and I'm addicted to books.

I'm mildly embarrassed to be writing this today, and I think my husband is secretly looking for rehab centers for me.

A few weeks ago I went to a booksale.  This is an annual sale that I go to so I can stock up on books.  Paperback are 50 cents and hardcovers $1.  You can see how this would be appealing to me.  I bought seven books.  That very same week I needed to order vacuum cleaner bags on Amazon.  I was $8 short of the free shipping so I had to buy a few books to get the free shipping.  I HAD to.  Needless to say, between the booksale, the Amazon books, and the books I had on reserve at the library, I have been non-stop reading for the past two weeks.  What's new about that? you might be saying, she's always reading.  Well, I think I have finally disgusted myself.  On Friday I began The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I knew I shouldn't start it until I had the time to devote to a series, since I hadn't finished the last novel in the Wilderness series I'm reading.  But that stupid book was just calling my name from the bookshelf.  And when Ben brought it to me repeatedly, I just knew I needed to read it.  It was a sign.  So Friday I gave in.  Friday night Don picked up the last of the Wilderness books from the library.  I finished The Hunger Games Saturday and started in on The Endless Forest.  I finished it Monday.  Monday afternoon.  But The Hunger Games just wouldn't get out of my head.  So I google up the Waterboro library and found they had book two, in the library.  I needed to go.  But I didn't have a car.  So I got snappy, and grumpy, and I was having withdrawals.

Finally Don came home, we get Ben fed, and I take off to the library.  At 7:30.  PM.  In the rain.

And this is where it gets hard to talk about.

I finished the book this morning at 10:30.

I know, I know, I have a serious problem.  No one should read like this.  How can someone like myself even function in society??  I need some serious help.

But not until I've read book three.  Which I have on reserve at the Portland library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment