Saturday, December 10, 2011

Barbie Basics

I was shopping today, and while leaving the store with a few Christmas gifts in hand, I happened to see a table of Barbies as I was walking out of the store.  I caught them out of the corner of my eye, but I forced myself to pause, and take a better look.  They were a line of Barbies called Barbie Basics.  Barbie was wearing the perfect little black dress.

And I smiled. 

I had an Aunt that loved everything Barbie.  She worshipped Barbie.  She must have had a zillion Barbies in her collection before she passed away, all gently held and dressed, with hair and clothes in perfect condition.  Her face was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that Barbie.  She would have loved it.

My Aunt passed away a few years ago, she was young, but had lived surprisingly long life.  Both mentally and physically handicapped, she had a funny side, a spoiled side and a gentle side.  My sister and I loved to make her mad when we were younger, and tease her about boyfriends when we were older.  We were never mean spirited, and I think she liked the attention.  And her Barbie collection was legendary.

Thinking about her today, and that Barbie, made me smile.  A nice thoughtful moment to interrupt my Christmas shopping.

And I almost went back to buy the Barbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment