Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Thank You Note

Do you write notes to your server on your credit card receipts or bills when you go out to eat?  I don't.  But I think I should start.  Especially when I have great service.  It sounds kinda corny, I know, but I can't tell you how that can change someone's night to know they are doing a good job.  Especially when you're in the service industry.

Last night I was having a pretty decent evening.  My tables were easy, they all seemed happy and I wasn't busy so I was able to give them my full attention.  I like nights like that.  They're not especially profitable, but sometimes you just need a night like that to recharge.  Unfortunately, about halfway through my shift I had a very large table, with a relatively large bill, leave me a very small tip.  (Less than 10%, which I think most people would agree is not acceptable.)  I was pretty irritated.  And when that happens I always wonder if I somehow had been doing my job poorly.  Maybe I didn't refill drinks fast enough?  Maybe I checked on them too many times?  For me, a poor tip makes me both irritated and reflective.

So after grumbling and muttering and wondering if I had done something wrong, I let the matter drop.  It's NEVER worth worrying about for more than a few minutes, though it's not exactly easy to put out of mind.  Then later that night I had a small table come in.  I treated them the same as I treat all my other tables, and when I went back to grab their receipt after they left, they had written "Thank you.  Great Job!" at the bottom of the slip.

It's nice to see a little note like that when you've been questioning your performance.  I may not have the best job ever, but it's nice to know I do a pretty good job at it.

I suppose I'm writing this to remind myself, and anyone else out there, that little words of encouragement do matter, to everyone, in every profession.  So if someone is doing a great job at something, don't be afraid to let them know.  You never know, it might be just what they needed to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment