Thursday, March 29, 2012

Super Mom to the Rescue...

So tomorrow Ben starts going to once a week daycare.  I'm really excited for him because I know he's going to have a great time playing with kids his age.  Today I decided to gather up all the items on the list that he needs to bring with him and leave there.  Diapers-check, change of clothes-check, toothbrush-check, sleeping bag and pillow-oh crap.

So I'm not Super Mom, and I completely forgot that he needed a sleeping bag and pillow for nap time.  Damn.  So I grabbed a blanket, threw it in the bag and decided that would be good enough for tomorrow, and I'll find him one this weekend.

And then I got to thinking.  There's no reason he needs a big puffy sleeping bag....and the blanket I'm sending with him is plenty big enough to be doubled up like a sleeping bag......why not make a sleeping bag out of the blanket?

So I did a little research, looked at a few other homemade toddler sleeping bags and decided to go ahead and make my own.

Seriously, easiest thing ever.  Also the cutest thing ever:


It isn't lined, so it's hard to tell that I have it flipped open in this picture, but it's open about a third of the way down.


Ben was napping, so George modeled for me.


Ready to be put away!


I'm the least crafty person that I know, so if I could do this, pretty much anyone can.  But I'll give my basic instructions in case anyone is interested.  I started by folding the blanket in half the long way.  Then I folded it in half again, rolled it up and measured a piece of ribbon long enough to tie it up with a little extra to sew into the bag.  Then I unrolled it, folded it the long way but so the inside was facing out.  I pinned the short side first and pinned the folded in half piece of ribbon about 1/4 of the way down one of the sides so when it was folded in half to be rolled the ribbon would be roughly in the middle.  The ribbon has to be tucked on the inside at this point so when you turn the bag right side out the ribbon will be on the outside to tie.  Then I pinned the long side for about 2/3 of the way.  I didn't have a zipper, and don't think I could have sewed one on there if I wanted to, so I just left that side open.  Once it was pinned, I sewed it on my sewing machine, turned it so the right side was facing out and VOILA! instant sleeping bag.

Ben is going to be thrilled because this is one of his favorite blankets, and I think its perfect since he is supposed to have a nap mat to sleep on anyway, and he won't sweat to death in the summer.

So I take back what I said earlier....I think I am Super Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment