Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Ride Home

On Tuesday I spent my whole morning working hard to learn my new job.  I spent the afternoon diligently working as well.  But, when 4:30 rolled around, I started getting anxious.  Not because the next day was my day off, not because the next day was the Fourth of July, but because I missed my kid.

At five o'clock I flew out the door, tried to find the quickest way out of Portland (still looking) and headed home.  I really wanted to see my kid.

When I made the turn onto the Dole's Ridge Road (about 12 minutes from home) I found myself getting impatient.  My speed kept creeping up until I was way over the speed limit.  I tried to keep it in check, but I missed my kid.

As I turned onto the New Dam Road (about 5 minutes from home) I felt such frustration that I wasn't there yet.  I just wanted my kid.  I thought to myself, "Does this ever go away?  This longing for your child when you haven't seen them all day?"  But I quickly realized, I don't think I ever want it to go away.  Missing your kid so much it hurts really isn't fun.  But having such a wonderful kid to miss so much makes me a very lucky lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment