Sunday, March 6, 2011

Some Days I Think I Can Cook


Sometimes I think I've really got this cooking thing down. Earlier this week, on a whim, I made chicken quesadillas with homemade refried beans. Then, when I was craving sweets and didn't have enough ingredients to make the usual brownies or cookies, I whipped up a peach-apricot-blueberry crisp from the over abundance of canned fruits my grandmother likes to give me in my Christmas food basket. It wasn't the BEST crisp I've ever made, but for a five minute fix I thought it was pretty tasty. Plus, no one else in the house liked it, so I got to eat the whole thing myself. Bonus.


Tonight I whipped up a salmon corn chowder with fresh dill. With only the basic outline of how to make a chowder, provided by a quick call to my mom, my chowder was pretty dang tasty, if I do say so myself. The whole family, who aren't really chowder eaters by choice, managed to enjoy a bowl, and my husband ate two!


Creating a delicious dinner from thin air gives me quite a rush. I get all excited and geared up to cook some more. Can I top myself? What else can I throw together that everyone will love? I like to pretend for a minute that maybe I am a gourmet chef at heart, confined to slave away in my too small, poorly stocked kitchen. What delectable delights could I create if only I had the means??? Then I have a reality check and start cooking tuna noodle casserole...again.

No comments:

Post a Comment