Monday, May 16, 2011

Prom Time!

It was a busy weekend.  Very busy.  There was a lacrosse game, a birthday party, work, grocery shopping and then the two big ones: Prom and Graduation Party Planning.  Ahhhhh!  Growing up is happening way too fast around here!  I've been so focused on watching Ben grow this past year, that this seems to be coming out of nowhere!  Jake is growing up!

Saturday afternoon, while I headed to work, Jake his friends put on their tuxes, posed for a few photos and headed to the prom.  I was so disappointed I didn't get to see him, and no amount of convincing, pleading or begging could make him stop by the restaurant and show me his tux.  Apparently he found it uncomfortable to enter a packed restaurant in a tux so his step-mother could gush about how handsome he looked.

My husband was nice enough to stop by with photos (although I think the ulterior motive was to have dinner at the restaurant and avoid cooking that night) which I proudly showed off to my co-workers.  And I have to admit I was a little teary eyed.  I didn't get to see him in his tux, and the next time he will likely be wearing a tux will be at his wedding.  And just how do you not tear up thinking about that?  So grown up....

Sunday we went to Don's Aunt's house to plan a graduation party for Jake and his (sorta) cousin Emily.  (She is technically Don's cousin, but is in Jake's class.)  We discussed seating and food, decorations and cake, and the whole time it became harder and harder to deny that the end of Jake's "childhood" with us is all too fast approaching.

I didn't expect to be all sappy about this, I've know him for 8 of his 18 years, which is a lot, but still puts a bit of a distance between us.  But here I am today sniffling and snizzling over the upcoming graduation.  Growing up just happens way too fast....

Jake, Don and Marcus 2005


Jake, Don and Marcus 2006


Ben, Jake and Marcus 2011


Prom 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment