Monday, October 24, 2011

Ack! My Back!!

Ouch.  So apparently I've officially entered adulthood.  My back is KILLING me.  I'm not usually one to whine about pain (don't consult my husband on that one though) and I'm not usually in a lot of pain, but for the last few months, and specifically the last few weeks, I've been pretty uncomfortable.

Why does my back hurt, you might be wondering, well, I can list about forty reasons why, the number one being: Ben.  He weighs almost 25 pounds now and I carry him or pick him up, or push him in a stroller, every day.  And since he's now nearly two, he's not always "cooperative" when I'm trying to do those things.  Carrying a screeching squirming almost-two-year-old up the stairs for a diaper change would throw out anyone's back!  Add that to the physical demands of waitressing (NOT all the fun games people think it is...) and the other odds and ends of stuff I do on a daily basis, and voila my back hurts.

Anyway, since I'm not one for pain medications, my first order of business has been finding something to ease the pain and make it go away.  I figure exercise is a good place to start.  There is just one problem with this.  I HATE exercise.  I'm pretty sure those "endorphins" you're supposed to get from exercising are missing from my body,  I feel zero enjoyment, zero sense of accomplishment and zero satisfaction from anything even remotely resembling exercise.  And I hate sweating.  Gross. 

So what do you do when you need to exercise, and hate exercising?  Look for the wimpiest yoga video ever and hope for the best.  And that's just what I've done!  On a recommendation from facebook, I'm watching "Healing Yoga: For Aches and Pains" on Netflix in the morning.  Since the 35 minute video SAYS I don't have to do the whole video if I don't want to, I don't.  (In my defense the last section involves rolling around on the floor and I have very delicate hips, so I think it's better that I just skip that for now.)  The yoga routine is done in and on a chair, takes me about 20 minutes, and has to be one of the corniest things I've ever witnessed.  (Seriously, I think there might be a Unicorn on the lady instructors yoga top.)  BUT, it feels really great on my hips and back and I don't break a sweat.  It's PERFECT!  Today will be day three and my goal is to do a week straight and see how I feel.  If I'm feeling better I'll try adding the third routine and maybe even considering a more "intense" video.

But someone please put me out of my misery if I start running around in a unicorn leotard with a sweatband.  That's not the kind of life I want to be living....

No comments:

Post a Comment