Friday, September 9, 2011

Reunion Time....Yikes!

I'm starting to get a bit anxious.  My ten year High School Reunion is a week from today.  (gulp)  I'm mostly excited about seeing people and catching up, there are a lot of people that I have only communicated with through facebook that I would like to give hugs to, and some people that I only get to see a few times a year that I just enjoy spending time with.  Plus it's been a long time since all us girls were together in one place and I'm hoping for some good laughs and a bit of reminiscing.

There's just one part that makes me feel a bit uneasy, and that's my answer to the question I will inevitably hear: "So what have you been up to?"  Just what have I been up to for the last ten years?  Funny, it doesn't really seem like much.  Yes, I did go to college, and for a period of time I ran a small business in the Old Port with my mom.  I was also a receptionist in a law office, and I did get married, I've been helping raise my two stepsons, and of course there is Mr. Ben, the highlight of my life.  But right now, I'm a waitress, which is far from glamorous.  Don't get me wrong, I love my job, it's exactly what I need right now so that I can be home with my son during the day, and still contribute financially to the family, but the thought of having to answer that question with "I'm waiting tables" really bugs me.  I could just say I'm a stay at home mom, but again, that bugs me too.  For pete's sake, I was voted most likely to succeed, and all I can say for myself is that I can successfully change diapers and not drop a tray of drinks?  It bugs me just a little.  I would like to say that I have done more with the last ten years, but I guess I just haven't.  I'll have to make some definite plans for the next ten years.  I'm pretty sure success takes more than ten years anyway...right?

I suppose I'll just have to make up for it with my dazzling personality and a stunning dress.  Now to find that dress and polish up my personality....I guess I've got a busy week ahead of me.

2 comments:

  1. Gee...all I have to do is show up with heels and make sure I'm still "tallest" :) Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kyla, I couldn't have said it better myself in regards to the question " What have you been up to in the last 10 years" Prior to about 6 weeks ago, I was feeling so confident about going. Afterall, I had a great job, a great marriage, and overall a great life. Now, as it approaches I'm practically paralyzed with fear to say, yes I still have a great job but my great marriage and my great life have dissolved. I am not sure I can face that....

    ReplyDelete