Monday, September 26, 2011

When I Grow Up...

Don and I have been doing a bit of talking lately about going back to school.  The other day I had mentioned to him that when we thought it was time for me to go back to a 9-5 job I thought I would drop off my resume at some local insurance and real estate offices.  I was once a pretty good receptionist and would be an excellent fit at one of the local companies, should they find themselves in need.  And I would love to work close enough to home that I could spend more time with Ben.  Don told me that he thought I should go back to school instead.  Get my teaching certificate and teach, like I had wanted to do when I was in school in the first place.  I thought about it for a minute, but told him I honestly didn't know if that's what I still wanted to do.  I told him I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up.

He was very quick to jump on me about that, reminding me I had my English degree and I wanted to teach, once upon a time.  So I snapped back at him and asked if he knew what he wanted to be when he grew up.  Ten years older than me, he should have a clue, but he admitted he didn't know either.  He's good at what he does, but he doesn't love it.

So we're both stuck now, not knowing what we want to do, how we want to go about doing it and how to pay for furthering our educations.  But we do know two things.  First, Jake has to get into school and get his financial aid set.  Second, something has to change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment