Monday, April 23, 2012

Just What Have I Been Up To?

Phew!  Well, I'm back!  What a busy couple of weeks!

The bathroom project I started is going slow but steady.  The walls finally have a coat of paint on them, and the old floor has been removed to make way for the new.  I wish I had more time to focus on getting it all done, but like I said, it's been a busy few weeks!

Don took vacation all of last week and we went to Boston for a few days with Ben.  What a blast!  The weather was beautiful, we stayed right in the city and got in LOTS of exercise walking around, and got to visit some very cool museums.  We went to the Children's museum, which was a lot of fun, but I think Ben will get a bigger kick out of it in a few years when he can absorb the information there and not just run around screaming his head off because he's having so much fun.  We also went to the aquarium, which was fun....but sooooo crowded.  By the end of the morning I think the three of us were about to scream if we stayed there for another minute.  We walked up to Quincy Market and saw a street performer juggle a chainsaw and fit his entire body through a tennis racket.  Pretty impressive....and we were very glad Marcus wasn't with us, because we were both pretty certain he would immediately drop out of high school to start juggling chainsaws.  We also went to the Science Museum which was also a lot of fun.  Unfortunately we were all pretty tired by that point in the afternoon so we didn't get to see every exhibit, but we still had a really nice time.  Ben had fun on the train (we took the Downeaster to Boston...which if you haven't done, I HIGHLY recommend it.) and on the T.  He also enjoyed the novelty of staying at a hotel.  Enjoyed it so much that our last night there he didn't feel the need to go to sleep before 11:00. Ugh.

While we were in Boston, my car was in the garage, sadly receiving a terminal diagnosis.  This month actually marks 10 years since I bought my car, and now at 265,000 miles, it's pretty much at the end of its life span.  The head gasket appears to have a leak which is affecting radiator.  And since apparently the head gasket is ridiculously expensive to replace, my car has reached the end of its life span.  We have started some preliminary car shopping, and I've got to say, it seriously sucks.  We have a pretty tight budget for a new car, but apparently car salesmen are big on ignoring that.  Not sure how spending $12,000 on a car is more affordable than $5,000....but what do I know.  Ugh.  Fortunately my car is still "working" for short commutes, so we're not in a rush to buy yet.  Hopefully a good deal will come our way.  Hopefully....

There, now that I have all the updating from the past week or so done, I thought I'd share another interesting tidbit.  This week is National Infertility Awareness Week.  Bet you didn't know that, did you?  I didn't know that until a few weeks ago either.  It actually just became an "official" awareness week in 2010, so I think it's going to be a while before it gets the publicity it deserves, so I'm going to help out in whatever way I can to spread awareness.  Even if it's only to 2 or 3 people.  So this week I'm going to focus on blogging about my infertility journey from its beginning after Don's surgery to now, since I still find myself dealing with after effects despite having an amazing son.  It seems the "end" of the journey doesn't just end at the birth of a child.

So here's a link to the blogs I wrote a year ago about my infertility journey to start.  I'll be posting a few more times this week with more information too.  Please feel free to share with anyone you think might benefit from some "awareness."  Sometimes Babies Come From Petri Dishes

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment