Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Lucky Mom

Now that I've written several posts for National Infertility Awareness Week, I thought I would just do one more quick one and end it on a positive/hopeful note.

At the end of the day, infertility sucks.  It just sucks.  But it also changes you.  And I can't say that it isn't for the better.  I know now that I have a lot more strength than I ever thought.  I physically survived the pokes, prods, exams, and unpleasantries of hormones and the pain from retrievals.  I emotionally survived the heartache, the frustration, the disappointment, the jealousy and the sadness that goes with infertility.  I am stronger now than I was before.

I also learned how hard it is to go through things alone.  I will always be available for anyone to talk to about what they're going through with infertility.  And I also realize that sometimes, you just don't want to talk to anyone.  I get it.  I have a lot more understanding now.

I know that I also appreciate my child more than I would have had I not dealt with infertility.  I appreciate every moment with him, every milestone, every hug, every kiss.  And I appreciate all the miserable attitudes, the poopy diapers, the temper tantrums and the sleepless nights much more than I would have before.  Because I have them.  And I KNOW how lucky I am to have them, because for a time, I thought I never would.

I'm lucky.  And I know it.


No comments:

Post a Comment