Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ladies Night!

If you know me even a little bit, you know that I'm not a drinker.  Never have been, likely never will be.  So how on earth I've ended up working at a bar on Ladies Night is beyond me.  (Actually, I know exactly how it happened, just never saw it coming!)

I'm not one of those high and mighty teetotalers who believes alcohol is horrible and should be banned.  I just don't like it.  I know I'm a light weight, I know I can't handle booze, so I just stay away from it.  It's as simple as that. 

But it makes it quite tricky to work in a bar.  I know when I first started, I would take drink orders and just nod my head...sure...I'll be right back with your Bombay Martini, extra dry, olives on the side...because I know exactly what that means...Now that I've been serving drinks for a while, I've gotten the hang of it, or at least the hang of knowing what they're talking about anyway.  Working at the bar now, I'm starting to learn how to make the drinks, which is again pretty tricky when you don't actually drink.  I could start sampling them...but since I do have to drive home after my shift, and function as a human the following day, I tend to refrain from that.

Thus far, I've become a master of pouring all things mixed with coke, ginger ale or sprite.  Need some whiskey, neat?  I'm all over that too (and I can even do it on the rocks!)  Margarita?  No problem, as long as there's a bottle of margarita mix ready to go.  Above and beyond that, well, I have to ask for help.  But, Rome wasn't built in a day, so perhaps there's some hope for my bartending skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment