Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Snowy Morning

I woke up this morning to the sound of snow.  Snow sliding off my roof.  Which my dog was barking at.  Good morning.  A few minutes later, the power flickered.  Not a good sign.  The baby promptly started screaming, because his white noise machine freaks when the power flickers and tends to start making a very scary "alien static" noise which is hard for him to sleep through.

And so my morning began.  Knowing that with 8ish inches of snow on the ground, and 8ish inches of snow on the trees, it would be highly likely that I would lose power.  So, first things first, I baked a pumpkin pie.  While the pie was baking, I took a shower.  Now, fully prepared for a power outage of epic proportions, I started in on the graham cracker pie crusts for the chocolate cream pie.  I like to make them from scratch, and while you can make them without baking them, I do like them better crisped up in the oven.  With a little help from Ben, I managed to get the crusts done and baked about 10 minutes before the power went out.

Perfect timing.

Fortunately, the power was only out for a few hours, so the house didn't get cold and the teenagers didn't go mad from boredom.  Ben and I played in the snow for a bit (he was not very pleased that his little car got covered in snow, so he shoveled his out while I shoveled mine) and came in for some snuggles on the couch with fresh popcorn and Dinosaur Train on PBS.  All in all, it was a great afternoon with my little goober.

So, with the pies done for tomorrow, and nothing to do for the rest of the night, I think I'm going to catch up on some sleep so I can be prepared for Black Friday shopping and holiday decorating this weekend.  I hope everyone else had a nice cozy snow day today, I know I enjoyed mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment