Saturday, November 26, 2011

Maid Services

I've got a few hours left before I head back to the bar for another shift of waiting tables and serving drinks.  (Last night I practiced making Rum Punch and Blue Hawaiians...I'm going to be a bartender before you know it!)  I'd like to spend my last few hours of the day relaxing, maybe reading a book and sipping a cup of tea.  Unfortunately, there's still a massive amount of dirty laundry sitting around, a floor in need of serious vacuuming, and two bathrooms that are in desperate need of a thorough cleaning.  While I probably won't tackle all those projects before I leave, I suppose I'll have to do at least one or two more of them.

Some days I wonder what it would be like to have a maid.  Someone that would come in and do the dishes, pick up the dirty dishes and dirty socks left around the house by lazy teenagers, wash and fold my laundry, clean my floors and dust.  I'm pretty sure it would be amazing.  I'm also pretty sure that I would be one of those people that cleaned my house before the maid showed up.  I'm not convinced I could let anyone else see the "real" dirt that accumulates around here...

I've been a maid before.  I was "housekeeping" one summer on the island at the Inn.  Not the greatest job I've ever had, but I didn't hate it.  I also accompanied my grandmother when she went cleaning cottages.  And in the past I've worked with both my mother and grandmother maintaining one family's summer home on the island.  Needless to say, I'm pretty familiar with cleaning.  So while I grumble and complain about cleaning this house, I can honestly say I've seen worse.  And while it would be a great treat to have a maid's help with the mess around this house, I'm more than capable of handling it, and I think I would probably prefer it that way.

Although I wouldn't mind if someone volunteered to do the vacuuming today....

No comments:

Post a Comment